Renaissance of love


Gray ocean waves
rushed the Manhattan Beach shore.
We strolled along The Strand-
congested with laughter, barking dogs
and skaters’ wheels rolling over sandy pavement-
symphony of summer beach life.
My heartbeat roared over all the noise,
only I could hear its rumble.

I took a big gulp of briny sea air,
my stomach felt like Jell-O,
I exhaled and tasted adrenaline.
We strolled along like so many other weekends
but I felt lost, in my thoughts in my feelings
rushing over me, coming to my surface
You grabbed my hand and pointed…
Something in the sky? The boat in the water?
Couldn’t make out what you said,
I know my hand slipped out of your hand
like the giggles slipped out your lips
I didn’t want to let go
but your hand carried away
my body heat with it.
I knew I couldn’t just be your friend
if not having you made
a summer afternoon feel cold.

My tongue stumbled trying to convey
to you my heart’s testimony.
I opened my mouth, wanted to swallow the sunset
to blind you with my smile,
tell you the things that emerge in me when I’m with you.
Your warmth all volcanic, melts my anti-love fears
allowing possibilities to erupt
and dreams of a future with you hover like cumulus clouds.
But all I had was human words, my truth
unfurled before you, earth angel,  “vision of loveliness,”
skin soft like rose petals, eyes blue like the horizon,
pink lips that part into a smile
that unglued me and made me feel like a convert
of the renaissance of love.

We sat on a bench to watch in silence
as the sun appeared to slip into the ocean.
“The sun doesn’t actually rise and set,
it’s us, Earth spins on its axis…” you said breaking
the silence.
“While it rotates around the sun,” I added.
My anxiety ebbed as I reached for you hand, pulled
you closer to me and asked “Will you be my sun?”
You grabbed my hand,
rested your head on me
and said “for all seasons.”

Comments

RodriguezWriter said…
Thank you Jenny! I've been neglecting my baby but glad you paid us a visit.
Number 5 said…
Damn... I love this one. (And knowing that you two are now hitched and expecting made this entry even more powerful for me.)

On another note, I was DEVASTATED when I learned this past Friday was our last class meeting and it was the one time I missed. I feel like I owe you more than just walking out of the classroom last Friday. You have been a breath of fresh air as a professor. Your teaching style is very intimate and genuine, and I really appreciated the structure of the course. You managed to keep a relaxed environment that provoked both vulnerable and light-hearted discussion, which can be very hard to do. I also love how you asked the people in your life to speak to the class; they were intelligent, well-spoken, and knowledgeable, and having them come in was also a fun way to get to know you a little better as a person. You also have this beautiful way of carrying on seamlessly when people come in late. I'm admittedly usually (always) one of those people, so I really appreciated that. I hope you understand it has nothing to do with lack of respect and everything to do with my terrible time management skills and chronic green light optimism. Your class has been a pleasure to attend.

Thank you for being a great professor, I hope to catch up with you on campus sometime soon!

Kayla Moody
RodriguezWriter said…
Hey Kayla, this is waaaaaaaaay too late of a response but I do appreciate your kind words. I enjoyed having you in my class. Hope life is treating you well.

Popular posts from this blog

Frida Kahlo Poem Dedicated to Diego Rivera

BLM Owes Me Nothing!

Los Novios