Amanda Woodward, My Shero (circa 1993)

Heather Locklear as Amanda from Melrose Place

Amanda Woodward, god she is such a witch! She looks like she is so hungry with power. No she can’t be hungry if she already has it, cause she does. The way she stands up to men more powerful than her at D & D Advertising, the way she dismisses compliments from others in a “yeah, I know I’m good and don’t need you to tell me,” kind of way. I don't want to be like her really but definitely wish I had alot of her qualities.  Let’s face it, it’s been pretty fucken hard for me to try to emulate her with my prieta, swap meet-clothes-wearing self. She is after all Heather Locklear.  And honestly I don’t want to be HER just be like the character she plays on Melrose Place. I’ve never been to Melrose, it’s pretty close by my classmates say but I don’t have a car and I don’t think my mom will let me get there on the bus. It seems like a nice fancy place to visit, with nice young rich 20-somethings.

Amanda Woodward, she is a crude vice-president of an advertising company, a callous slut who seems to have affairs with every male character on the show except for Matt the gay one of course. Oh and she has an amazing wardrobe that always accentuates her ass.  Not only does Amanda have her own apartment but she also owns the apartment complex where the Melrose drama takes place. Or is she just the manager? Heather Locklier has been on other television shows, I don't remember which ones but I do know the other characters she played on the many television sitcoms she was on except that her characters were always well off and a seductress.  Heather Locklear, with her trend setting fashion, high paying career and bed hopping abilities makes me thinks that having such independence would make anyone feel so powerful, that’s why she is so tough, cause she does what she wants. I have never experienced that kind of independence but also I’ve never been told that I could one day live like that, but I wish to.  I don’t mean just the clothes, money and men but, she represents the opposite of everything, that at my mature age of sixteen years old, I am already angered and bored with such as religion, marriage, children…in a word housewife. Amanda doesn’t have to worry over making sacrifices for her family, her husband or her children and from all her romantic quests I could tell that virginity or devotion are not nooses around her neck.  Unlike all my relatives, Amanda/Heather is not trapped into relationships by mixed emotions or neglected vows.  After her roll around with the guys she doesn't worry about the whispers behind her back or have fear chill her blood at the thought of what her mother might say when if she found out she had gone to see a gynecologist (yes my mom freaked out once when I went to the gyno).  Amanda’s women’s parts are her own and she could pamper it as much as she likes, adorn it with the softest fabrics, give it up without any commitments and care for it as it needed to be.  That is what I want.  Sounds simplistic and shallow but I want to be able to have a relationship and not have my friends tell me that whomever I slept with was supposed to be my man because we had to share had to be something special. I want to be a successful career woman, wear nice skirts, be flawlewss and strong. I want to be able to have my own apartment, something overlooking downtown all the lights and freeways a canvas to my romantic escapades.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frida Kahlo Poem Dedicated to Diego Rivera

BLM Owes Me Nothing!

Los Novios