Y Volver volver



Y volver volver
VOLVER
con la opresión
otra vez.
Llegare hasta donde estés
yo se perder, yo se perder
pero jamás me venceré.

History repeats itself
spins like a 45
but then there’s the
scratching
a needle trying to stop time.
I keep coming back
to the same place- like
literally. Like a poem
about writing- writing itself.

I teach at Cal State Dominguez Hills
Toro Pride Tuesdays
burgundy and gold horned
students, learners and spiel-lers
of knowledge, ideas bouncing
off those 70s concrete walls,
between the Japanese gardens
bonsai trees growing little
and back to CAMS, the high school
I went to when I was just a little
9th grade girl
from Compton, which started to feel
little for me so I knew I had to go.
Looking for an alternative and CAMS high
landed on my map- my route on this road
less taken but now I’ve started a path.
CAMS is on the campus of Dominguez Hills
and back in 1990 I never fathomed
that in 2014 I’d be
back in my old English classroom, spinning another
story as “Prof. Rodriguez and Students Breaking
Down the Gender Binary, and Other Ideas Crossing
Like Intersectionalities.”

History repeats itself
It’s just like heaven
reincarnated to be
hovering up above
over you, I’m so over you.
You, you my prop
I do whatever it takes
to rule over you.
Have rules over you
to strap you down
got rules on how to rule the masses.
It’s my privilege
white, male filthy rich
giving me my privilege
why I do it to you
I stick it, twist around my stake
you’re cooked my little brownies
die.
Everyone claims to be on my trail
I don’t lose track of the ones I’ve laid.
They call it rise to power for a reason. 
Now come over here -fluff me up,
you with your misdirected anger
and misinformation the economic pressure
you feel it on your lomo, that’s what the bad hombres
call it, when they put their back into it.
And you my chickie with your liberal views
your attraction to standing by all voyeuristic
as the position we’ve inherited
all the way to our veins wrecks havoc.
Too funny to turn away?
Like how I tell it like it is?
Get a good look in the mirror. 
See the ghosts of oppressions past
it’s a hate that will not concede….
Yes there may be lots of people that hate me
but there’s that one kid who doesn’t.
Come here and fluff me up
my desire is magnetic- like a yuge
magnate- cause opposites attract

Together, bonding, they stick together
through their fear of a brown planet.
That’s what they sound like, like they’re
from another planet, this isn’t a turf war
we’re not gonna be smudged out,
Here WE come, marching through the streets
come get your smudging!
We blow a smoke screen against your hurt,
your broken place- your broken
place in society. You have us
pockets of macro-classes spinning our
lives like a saucer on a stick 
stuck in between our teeth
but we still speak out against your lashing out
your white panic.
You didn’t break but you are broken
and you get hurt at the memories we conjure up
cause we do it like Ouija speaking to our spirits
ending the vicarious pain, memories I have of you
nightmares I call them. So I stay woke
I’m alive
I survive
(take deep, slow, breaths) Please join me if you feel like it,
please join me so we can feel like,
alike.
Close our eyes
lets focus on our breath,
just our breath
our breath,
our breath
breath.
I open
my eyes and I see my people
I see women who stay lit
I see Blacks who stay lit
Latinx who stay lit
Queers who stay lit
Immigrants who stay lit
Muslims who stay lit
like a bomb fire, healing those cracks with our
breaths, we’re not done filling in the gaps
of what you call history,  one you wish
to forget cause it hurts.
You feel unliked, not wanted?
Welcome to the nightmare. I’ve been holding
my breath waiting for the day that I can
finally say ‘They’re here”
“Woke white folk they are here”

History repeats itself
and I am here today
and I know I’ll be here again
some tomorrow that our attraction
for each other, through our breaths
is a magnate for positivity, 
so that we can turn back some negativity
that has been spun out into our communities 
our United States. 
Just like  Superman back in '78-
RIP Christopher Reeve
flew around the Earth backwards,
pushing against Earth's inertia
we push back too
hopefully Our Breaths
none bigger than the other, none smaller
are pushing forward  humanity, decency, love
and respect. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frida Kahlo Poem Dedicated to Diego Rivera

BLM Owes Me Nothing!

Los Novios