American Dreaming









 





 
When I feel like quitting
I feel my pulse, her blood
occupies my veins. She who’s
life started in a shack, her mama died
when she was young. Dad forever on one.
Became a sister-mom too, young.
She could barely read. Too, poor
to afford books, schoolmates too, mean
to share theirs, she couldn’t read. Sister-mom
torteando pound after pound of masa
for all the sibling mouth’s to feed, no time to read.

American dreams don’t depend on a page
they can travel by tongue, ignited
her, painted a little bit of red and white
atop her chronic blues. Single mom
expatriate in a land that welcomed
her with open arms into its factories
and production plants. Planted on her feet
she worked double shifts and sprouted blackberry
plump veins on the back of her legs. Hung a key
around my older sister-mom’s neck, 
we walked to school, books in our
hands feeling the weight of hope on our backs. 

When I feel like quitting I hear the echoes
of her voice “Even when I’m gone,
I’ll never leave you alone” writing
my fate across an illuminated screen never
felt so easy.


Note: if you like what you read and you know it, donate here http://tupelopress.wordpress.com/3030-project/ 
I thank you, Tupelo thank's you, poetry thanks you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frida Kahlo Poem Dedicated to Diego Rivera

BLM Owes Me Nothing!

Los Novios