The Parade

Stained glass from Notre Dame










Sundays
dias de misa!
Bright and flowery days
everyone dressed in their best
for all to see.
My family, neighbors, strangers
ready to praise the Lord!
The folks who did the most
went to Jericho Baptist Church.
I was certain no one at my church,
Our Lady of Victoryyyyy
could compete.
But the folks who walked
down our streeeeet
to get to First Samoan Full Gospel Church
around the corner from my block
also had flair.  

While mom and my sisters finished
getting ready for our service,
“Holy Communion!”
I’d sit on the front steps
like a good girl, the thickness
of my dress
bunched up between my legs,
my hair slicked back
in a plain pony-tail and feet stuffed into
my Mexican-leather shoes mom bought me
at la tienda 3 Hermanos. My shoes felt
tight, like my pony-tail, but around my toes.
Sundays cramped my style, toes
and temples throbbed, as I watched
the contingent of worshippers go by. 

Jericho was smack in the middle of my block,
had Wednesday service but folks showed up
in mass on Sunday. There were men in purple suits
with matching purple ties
looking SHARP in black and white
Stacy Adams. Others strolled in their red suits
with black vests, black bowties and patent
leather wingtips that glistened along
with their jerry curl in the sun.
There were lots of little girls
with ruffled dresses layered like a cake
and barrettes clinging like gum
drops all over their hair. Some little girls wore
summer dresses, spaghetti straps
over their shoulders, their hair in cornrows
with beads at the ends reminded me of Smarties.
My hair never looked piñata fancy
Just a plain pony tail, or parted to the side
with wavy bangs over my eyes
and a single bow dancing near the part.

The Samoan women walked down my street,
doing it! in bunches. Groups would pass by
one at a time. Samoan women
didn’t wear ribbons, barrettes nor bows,
just a little bun on top of their dome,
looking like a Bowler hat. Or they wore
their hair in a braid hanging thick, black
like a three-strand twisted fiber rope
down their back to their waist.
They wore color from neck to toe
in their Pea with plumerias, hibiscus, ferns and
and palm tree prints that went from
light to dark like water colors. Their feet
free in nice huaraches not pinched by
hard leather. The men too were comfy
in their chanclas and ½ and ½ attire.
Shirt, jacket and tie on the top and
a lavalava around their waist in colors
darker than the women’s.

Sunday was my weekly Rose Parade,
the street filled with people walking,
talking, saying their “good mornings,”
dress shoes tapping on the pavement
and cars honking as they cut their way
through churchgoers crossing the street.
Always so much to see. The viejitas of Jericho
wore hats decorated with flowers,
feathers, bowknots, organza or lace trimming
and walked by slowly as a float, their purses swinging
on their arm as they took steady steps in
their white patent squared heels.
Some hats were super secretive with a broad brim
or a chapel veil covering the face.
Each lady looking like a queen with her crown.

The air filled with the sent of soap, cocoa butter
and of my Tia Rosa’s flower garden.
I’d wave at some of the folks who saw me staring,
they flashed me a smile, revealing big white teeth behind
bold red lips. Some little girls would stop and stare 
at me like I was a funny sculpture but didn’t wave back.

Comments

Gabbs said…
NICE. Don't forget the music of Jericho Baptist Church. I stopped going to misa just so I could stay and listen to them sing!! -g
RodriguezWriter said…
Gabbs, totally, but that's a different poem. "Compton Nights"

Popular posts from this blog

Frida Kahlo Poem Dedicated to Diego Rivera

BLM Owes Me Nothing!

Los Novios